This is a great technique for crisping up some frozen insects and then adding some zing and either consuming hot from the pan or tossing on top of your favorite salad. I personally love these atop the Black Bean Salad recipe that can also be found on the Next Millennium Farms Culinary section. Are you a fan of Moroccan? Jerk? Any spice will do for the final sauté, it is just a matter of which country you feel like tasting for that particular meal or snack!
- Mexican Mole (pronounced ‘mo-lay’) Spice (available at The Epicentre)
- Fire and Brimstone Spice (available at The Epicentre)
- Sea salt
- Frozen wax worms
- 2 tsp cooking oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F
- Place frozen wax worms on a parchment-lined cookie tray.
- Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes until moisture-free and warmed but not completely golden or cooked.
- Heat small amount of oil in sauté pan to medium and add wax worms. Dust with spices but not salt. Sauté another few minutes until golden and crispy. Adjust spicing to personal preference.
- Remove from heat, add a pinch of sea salt and either devour or place on top of your favorite salad or dish.