Perfect for Fall…warm and delicious protein-packed cricket chili. Add any other veggies you love and up the protein if you like. Remember, it’s chili, an “all for one” cozy lunch or dinner. This recipe goes great with warm Cheddar Cricket Biscuits on the side. A great way to add #InsectProtein into a family favorite!
Black Bean Cricket Chili
Made with NMF Protein2050 Cricket Flour
Contains 2.5g insect protein per serving
Makes 8-10 servings
2 Tbsp butter
½ onion, diced
4 cloves fresh garlic, diced
4 stalks of celery, diced
1 large green pepper, diced
1 large yellow or red pepper, diced
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 28oz cans of unsalted diced tomatoes, rinsed
2 19oz cans of black beans, rinsed
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp dried oregano
2 bay leaves
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
½ cup NMF Protein2050 Cricket Flour
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
Optional: ¼ to ½ cup pickled Jalapeño peppers for some extra heat
- Melt the butter in a medium or large soup pot and begin sautéing the onion, garlic, celery and peppers. Add cumin and first Tbsp of chili powder and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, black beans, remaining chili powder, oregano and bay leaves.
- In a bowl whisk together the broth and cricket flour, then add to your soup pot.
- Simmer, partially covered for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Add sea salt and pepper and jalapeno peppers if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Freezes well for cold winter days!