Autumn Cricket Chili
It may be cold out there, but this dish will keep you toasty warm. As soon as you smell it cooking, you will be warmed from the inside out. Vegetarian with the exception of the Cricket Powder, which will help keep you powered up all day long. Top it with your favourite grated cheese, dollop of sour cream and warm crusty baguette.
This recipe is an adaptation from Chef Jeffrey Baker of The Trails Retreat in Mono, Ontario.
Ingredients and directions for Autumn Cricket Chili:
- Toast the following ingredients together. Cool. Grind.
- 1 Tbsp fennel seed
- 1Tbsp cumin seed
- 2 Tbsp black peppercorn
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
2. Saute the following items together for 4 minutes.
- 3 cooking onions
- 2 bell peppers
- 5 cloves garlic
3. Add the spice mixture and 2 Tbsp of salt, saute for additional 2 minutes.
4. Add 2 tins tomato paste and saute 2 minutes.
5. Add the following ingredients into the pot and simmer for 2 hours, then season to taste.
- 2 tins diced tomatoes
- 4 cups cooked black beans
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp cricket powder
- 2 bay leaves